Sunday, June 9, 2013

Page to Screen

The Page to Screen assignment allowed me to compare the similarities and differences between novels and movies. It was interesting how the text from the novel was translated into the script. Reading The Silver Linings Playbook was an eye opening experience; pun intended because I literally watched the movie after I finished the novel.

Both the novel and movie for The Silver Linings Playbook had pretty much the storyline and main characters. The main difference was that some of the minor events in the novel were replaced by  an alternate ending in the movie. I think that these changes were acceptable because from a director's point of view, the audience must be entertained. I was most definitely entertained by the humor and even emotional scenes; thus, I enjoyed these changes.

The amount of time and effort it takes to translate a novel into a movie is very lengthy and strenuous because sscreenwriters must make a 300 page novel into a 2 hour movie production. In my opinion, it is no easy task. Also, the screenwriters have to adjust the narration of the novels if they are written in first person. To do this, they can have the thoughts of the main character said aloud or have a 'sidekick or friend' discuss them.

1 comment:

  1. I also read The Silver Linings Playbook too! I personally felt like there was a lot of differences between the novel and movie. However, I truly believed that the film was an excellent representation of the novel. Anybody that read the novel would immediately pick up on the minor event changes. Screenwriters have the difficult task of including the most imperative events in the film adaptation. The Page to Screen aspect of this course was highly enjoyable, and I look forward to reading more novels that have film versions in the near future.

    ReplyDelete