Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Stepping Out of your Comfort Zone

The aspect of novels that keep them interesting is the fact that there are so many genres to explore. You can be a lover of romance novels but still enjoy the fast-paced thrill of adventure novels. It is important to try reading books that are out of your comfort zone because you need to gain perspective and new ideas.

When I had an assignment to a read book out of my comfort zone, my teacher recommended that I read Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. This is a classic dystopian novel that focuses on the discoveries and consequences of science. It portrays the overruling nature of the government in which the people have no right to read or feel emotions other than happiness. Huxley basically created a world that is willing to give up true joy just for bland happiness that is free of suffering and misery. 


Because it is a science fiction novel, it is outside of my comfort zone and is not the typical book I would read. I personally have not enjoyed this novel because I could not visualize the situations and scenes that occurred in the book. I did not like how this World State was presented because it seemed too unrealistic for me; therefore I was not the biggest fan of this novel. I am used to visualizing and am a visual reader. Many of my peers have told me it is one of the best books they have read so far but, I beg to differ.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you didn't like Brave New World. I am experiencing similar reactions to The Gods Themselves that some of us are reading now. When you step out of your comfort zone you definitely have to think. Science fiction writers are often very imaginative creating new worlds and beings-- visualization can definitely be a challenge. In the end, I often look back and appreciate the effort that stepping out of my comfort zone has forced me to make. Hopefully, you will look back and derive some sort of accomplishment too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was a big fan of the "out of your comfort zone" assigment this semester. Most books that I would usually read fall within the same few genres, but this forced me to explore other types of novels. I choose to read a mystery book, which is something I have never read before but would definitely read again. I agree that Brave New World did not live up to the standards that other people have talked about. Reading books outside of your comfort zone is something that everybody should try because you never know if you'll find something that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading a book out of my comfort zone I also agree on the fact that it can be extremely educatoinal and serve to imemrse you in reading that is not necesarily harder,(although in your case it was)but in literature that is just different. In your statement that said "you could be a lover of romance novels but still enjoy the fast paced thrill of adventure novels" I found a perfect connection to my reading experience. I am typically just a lover of romance novels, however, for this assignment I read "Dark Places" by Gilliam Flynn and found the terror of the murderous crimes and the distraught life of Libby Day (the protagonist)actually very engaging. The change of certain aspects including the atmosphere of the setting, the character development,and the backround gave me a new spark to become interested in something else than romance and captured my attention. Since these aspects differed extensively from romance I think they can also be used in your argument that things out of your comfort zone allow you to gain new perspectives and ideas.

    I too, would recommened reading a different genre to almost any reader. I would hope that they could see the major differences in the plot but also be captivated by the unfamiliar territory of each chapter. I think everyone will have a different opinion (just like you did with "Brave New World") but I think they should also explore multiple genres before deciding to never step out of their comfort zone again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree in that readin gout of your comfort zone is important to do. Although you may be most comfortable sticking to a specific genre, you can find a whole new and completely opposite genre than what you're used too. Although, I have not read Brave New World, considering it is science fiction, it would not be a first choice pick for me. But, whknows maybe I would enjoy it. Just have to step out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm genuinely surprised you didn't enjoy Brave New World! It's not only one of my favorite books we've read in school but of all time. I agree and feel as if some aspects are unrealistic but it's not the individual scenarios like this that should be the main focus but rather the overall concept or theme that the novel is trying to present. Dystopian novels often utilize the flaws of the current society and exaggerate them in order to project them into the future on a large scale. This, as the author often intends, helps the reader become more aware of the flaws and instills a wish to change the path they are headed down.

    I agree that its important to read out of your comfort zone to gain new ideas and perspectives. Just because something is out of your comfort zone does not mean that you will automatically dislike it, which I believe many people are not aware of.

    ReplyDelete